Monday, April 2, 2012

The "I'm too broke to grocery shop this week" Scramble

It's one of THOSE weeks. The last and first week of the month are always the hardest, my bills always cut into my grocery allowance. But I've prepared for these situations by making sure I always have these four things on hand:

1) Pantry grains (quinoa, rice, pasta etc.)
2) A bag of frozen vegetables
3) At least 1 can of beans
4) Stir fry sauce, or stuff to make my own (usually soy sauce and dijon mustard)

These four things make up my emergency meal kit. No matter what, mixing those four things together will be delicious. You get your vegetable serving in, you get protein from the beans, and you get fiber from the grains. The sauce gives it the illusion of being a well thought out stir fry bowl (part of being in college is making sure the final product looks good and fancy, no matter how much thought you ACTUALLY put into it....)



So my emergency scramble for this week? Quinoa with kidney beans, green beans, corn and carrots with Trader Joe's Soyaki sauce. Roughly 450 calories, 18g of protein and 14g of fiber. Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment