Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Cookie Craze

This past week for me has been full of nothing but packing, moving and unpacking. What calms a tired soul? In my case it's cookies. Less of eating them, more of baking them. Although I should add that I realized this week that my campus grocery store sells vegan cookies. And not just one, a variety. So I indulged in and Explosive Espresso Chip Cookie, how could I not? I have this compulsion to buy specialty vegan food whenever I see it in unexpected places.




So anyways, I decided to bake cookies to calm things down in my mess of an apartment. I had been wanting to try the butterbean cookie recipe by The Happy Herbivore, beans in cookies? Gotta try it! But I switched things up a little bit because I had some cashews I wanted to get rid of. Here was the result-



Cashew Butterbean Cookies
Adapted from The Happy Herbivore
  • 1C rolled oats
  • 1C whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1t baking powder
  • 1/2t baking soda
  • 1/4t cinnamon
  • 1/4t nutmeg
  • 1/2C white beans
  • 1/2C raw sugar (I German rock sugar melted into a simple syrup)
  • 1/4C applesauce
  • 1/2t vanilla extract
  • 1/2C raw cashews
1) Sift dry ingredients in one bowl
2) Run beans, vanilla and apple sauce through a food processor until smooth
3) Stir to combine, then scoop tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet
4) Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, and enjoy! 

Best part about this recipe? Each cookie is only 70 calories with 2g of protein and 2g of fiber! So I don't even have to feel guilty about my moving week treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment